OVATION TV PREMIERES NEW SEASON OF DESIGNER PEOPLE WITH HOST AMY DEVERS
Series Focusing on the World’s Most Exciting, Cutting-Edge Designers Premieres Feb 1
Santa Monica, CA — January 25, 2010 Following a successful first season, Ovation TV, the only US television network dedicated to art and contemporary culture, is premiering all-new episodes of the series Designer People beginning February 1. The series, which is focused on the world’s most exciting, cutting-edge designers, is hosted by designer and artist Amy Devers (Trading Spaces, Freeform Furniture, DIY to the Rescue).
Designer People is being featured as part of Ovation TV’s week-long programming event “Drop Dead Design.” Episode highlights include:
• Designer People: Marcel Wanders, Ovation TV Original, Premiering Tuesday, February 2 at 9:00 p.m. ET – Dutch designer Marcel Wanders has had his hands in nearly every facet of design, from product design to interiors to architecture. Most famously, Wanders has fashioned sportswear for Puma, designed the Swarovski Crystal Palace in Milan and planned the exterior for the other-worldly JVC building in Mexico.
• Designer People: Michael Young, Ovation TV Original, Premiering Tuesday, February 2 at 9:30 p.m. ET. British born designer Michael Young is most well known for turning an inventive eye towards furniture design, interior spaces and product design. Young’s prestigious clients include Coca-Cola, Lacoste, US lighting company Artemide, furniture manufacturer Cappellini, and Iceland’s famous Astro bar. His designs are often alien-like and colorful; pulled from the wildest dreamer’s imagination.
• Designer People: Zandra Rhodes, Ovation TV Original, Premiering Wednesday, February 3 at 9:30 p.m. ET – Zandra Rhodes has designed clothes since the late 60s when she first set up a modest shop in London. Her garments rose to prominence and defined England’s fashion scene in the 70s, a time when British punk rock attitudes dominated. Zandra’s clothing exemplified that attitude – bold, bright and defiant. Since the 70s, Rhodes has gone on to design for Princess Diana, the Olsen Twins, and the ladies of Sex and the City.
• Designer People: Jüergen Mayer H., Ovation TV Original, Premiering Thursday, February 4 at 9:00 p.m. ET – Jüergen Mayer H. has worked to fuse new media with architecture, making his works state-of-the-art phenomena. Current projects include the townhouse Scharnhauser Park in Ostfildern, HeatSeat – a temperature-sensitive furniture, a dining hall of the University of Karlsruhe and Metropol Parasol – the redevelopment of the Plaza de la Encarnacion in Seville. Jüergen Mayer H., studied architecture at Stuttgart University, The Cooper Union in New York and at Princeton University. Since 1996 he has taught at various universities, eg at the University of the Arts Berlin, at the GSD of Harvard University, at the AA in London and is now involved in Collumbia University in New York. His work has won numerous international awards, including Mies-van with the der Rohe Award.
• Designer People: Zaha Hadid, Ovation TV Original, Premiering Thursday, February 4 at 9:30 p.m. ET – Iraqi born Zaha Hadid is an internationally renowned architect based in London. Hadid’s vision is one that rebels against convention. Not satisfied adhering to simple geometric shapes and lines, Zaha’s work is sleek and contemporary yet strangely unexpected, with surprising curves, bold uses of color and angular illusions. Her work can be seen worldwide in the edifices of the BMW Central Building in Leizpig, Germany; the Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art in Cincinnati, USA, Bergisel Ski Jump in Innsbruck, Austria and most recently, the J. S. Bach Pavilion in Manchester, UK.
Host Amy Devers earned her MFA in furniture design at the Rhode Island School of Design and has worked as a teacher, fabricator, contractor and independent designer/builder of furniture and interiors. She has a particular interest in unexpected materials, found objects and sustainability. A fine artist as well as a designer, Amy has exhibited her work internationally in galleries and museums.
“We love working with Amy because she is not only a fantastic host, but she’s a designer in her own right,” said Kris Slava, SVP, Programming, Ovation TV. “We are always looking for credibility along with on-screen talent and Amy is that rare and wonderful combination of both. She is a essential part of the series and manages to bring substance and knowledge to every design topic covered.”
Designer People is a co-production between Ovation TV and DemonAngel.
About Ovation TV: Ovation TV is the only multi-platform network devoted to art and contemporary culture. The network creates and curates one-of-a-kind programming about all the art people enjoy most, from the popular to the avant-garde and everything in between. The channel reaches a national audience of 37 million households through carriage on DirecTV (channel 274), Dish Network (channel 157) and on cable and telco systems in major markets across the country. Ovation TV’s programming is also available on video on demand (in both standard and high definition) in the US. Ovation TV’s popular website (OvationTV.com) is a dynamic experience, featuring information about local and national happenings in the art world, as well as a vibrant community of artists who have uploaded over 100,000 pieces of original art.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Patricia Frith Marketing (for Ovation TV)
Tel: +1 818 876-0480
Ovation TV Press Website: www.OvationTV.com/media